Saturday, November 20, 2010

UPDATED: The Power Bar - Extending My HTC Desire's Battery

A few weeks ago, I decided to jump the Blackberry ship and switch to Android. Upon the recommendation of the "geek-who-must-not-be-named", I decided to get an HTC Desire. The Desire is a feature-packed and slick phone (review to follow) but it has one major weakness, its battery life.
In order to maximize the power of the HTC Desire, I decided to try out CDRKing's Powerbar. Accordint to the website:
• Meet an emergency when you go outside or in a trip, and the power off, you can charge your mobile phone with the portable Lithium-ion Polymer battery.
• Convenient whenever and wherever you are, you can charge your mobile phone in time, and you could talk with others while charging.
• High-efficiency charging 2.5 hours, the battery could transfer the energy to your mobile phone for at least 3 times.
• Environmental-protection it can be recycled.
• Modern and portable modern design, small size, convenient to take it with you.
• High-security, no explosion
The Powerbar can be charged any spare USB port of a computer and it can also be charged using an AC USB adaptor. It comes with several "tips" that fits different cellphone make and models. Unfortunately, it does not come with a tip that fits the HTC Desire. Good thing I can use the USB cable that came with the Desire. The Powerbar is encased in a plastic case with a rubbery feel and feels rather light.

I tested the Powerbar and it is capable of charging my phone from 50% to 100% in approximately 20 minutes. When I checked the Powerbar itself, it still have some juice left over.

All in all, I think the Php 880 I payed for it is well worth the money. It works as advertised and it gives me the peace of mind that I won't run out of juice while out on the road.

UPDATE:
Just for kicks, I purposely semi-drained my HTC Desire down to 29% battery capacity and tried to see how much juice the Power Bar will give it. So I plugged the Power Bar to the phone and it charged the Desire. After approximately 2 hours, my HTC Desire battery level went up to 69% capacity. Now given that I charged the Power Bar last week and I never charged it in between, and it gave my phone 40% of its capacity after a 2 hour charging time, I guess the money I paid for it is really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment